Qantas is working on consolidating services and updating its flight schedule for next week as workers plan to walk off the job for up to four hours on Tuesday 20Sep11. Announcing the strike earlier this week, Qantas said it is working on contingency plans to reduce the amount of disruptions and will contact affected passengers in the coming days.
Qantas Group executive Olivia Wirth said the carrier is focusing its efforts on passengers and getting them to their destination. “The TWU is intent on causing disruptions to Qantas passengers and we are doing everything we possibly can to reduce the delays and cancellations," Ms Wirth said. “Qantas will publish an updated schedule in the coming days and contact any passenger who has been affected by the strike to make alternative travel arrangements.”
Despite months of negotiations, the Transport Workers Union (TWU) announced this week that its Qantas members had voted in favour of a four hour strike as well as a ban on certain administrative tasks which the carrier said could affect operations for up to 48 hours. Ms Wirth has urged the union return to the negotiation tables and reach a fair deal that will not impact the carrier’s competitiveness in the sector.